Monday, December 21, 2009

Holly's in Charge of an Elephant...

Last night, I had a dream that I was in charge of an elephant. I'm not sure what it all means. Of course, I've looked it up in an online dream dictionary. All-in-all, dreams about elephants tend to be pretty positive... if you believe those interpretations in online dream dictionaries. However, I must say that the dream itself was a bit unsettling.

There I was standing outside a high school football stadium. It was not one I had ever seen before, and it felt very "small town." I will say that the school colors must have been blue and white, because the press box and bleachers were all painted true blue. I was standing in the parking lot getting ready to leave, when this older couple walked up to me with an elephant.

The man handed me the reigns and wished me luck. It was obvious that I was in charge of the elephant. Apparently, I had to get the elephant home. There was a large 18-wheeler in the lot too. I wondered why the elephant couldn't ride home in there, but apparently, it couldn't. So, I took the reigns, like I knew what I was doing. The old man smiled. He pointed to these jugs of bright blue water and reminded me to, "be sure he drinks a lot of elephant water before you start walking him." Then, he added, "And remember, don't get that on your hands. It will burn your fingernails."

I was trying to imagine how I was going to do this all by myself? Should I pour the water into something? Can I let go of the reigns to prepare the water? How will I steer this pacoderm out onto the city streets? How will we negotiate traffic? Should I ride him or guide him? Where exactly does the elephant live?

I woke up. My arm was asleep. My nearly elephant-sized cat was lying on it. I guess I'll never know the answers to my questions. I still wonder if I problem-solved the situation. Did the elephant (and I) get to our destination? Or am I still in charge of an elephant... somewhere out there in dream world, a.k.a. my sub-conscious mind?

3 comments:

  1. Addenda: My friend, Jeff, just interpreted the dream as follows: "I think the elephant was a guy, and the old people were his parents. The elephant water was beer. Good luck to you."

    Made me laugh! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds plausible, Jeff. Parents handing over an elephant/man to Holly for caretaking because all men/elephants drink too much blue elephant water/beer...and frankly, the old couple/his parents have had it (40 is way too old for caretaking)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered your blog. And you know how I am, so I must start at the beginning and read to the present. This story cracks me up. I think the elephant represents all the responsibilities you have in life....all the problems you must solve. I also think that had you continued sleeping, you would have solved the elephant problem.

    ReplyDelete